Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Importance of Proper Drainage

When it rains, it pours. An inch and a half of rain over a 24 hour period. Come to find out, I had a couple of planters that don't have holes for drainage. We lost a small container of sage seedlings as well as a planter (trough style) of scallion seedlings. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it did remind me the importance of proper drainage for all of our plants. Funny enough, I assumed the planter with the onions had holes in the bottom. It's the same brand as the other pots I've been using for my vegetable plants, but zero drainage. I guess the assumption is either that flower planters don't need drainage at all, or that the purchaser should be able to decide how many holes there are in the planter. Either way, I lost some plants, gained some rain water for the survivors, and now know that I should check a planter before using it. Other than that, it looks like all of my other vegetables survived, my habanero plant was the only one that was a bit droopy. A few hours in the sun and she perked right up. Also, it looks like it's starting to flower, habanero pickles will soon follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment