Sunday, February 1, 2009

Recipe: Homemade Bread Crumbs

In an attempt to make the most of all of our food, I've adjusted the way I do things in the kitchen. I love a good sandwich on a sub roll. I also love the boat cut (remember the way Subway used to do it?) when making a sandwich. As of recently, I've been modifying the boat cut and dredging part of the inner bread out to make room for yummy yummy meat. Well last night I made what is quite possibly the last modification. Instead of cutting the bread close to the middle, I cut it closer to the top, about 25% of the way down. From that, I dredged out the middle leaving about a half inch of bread. Like any red blooded American, I love bread, so guess where all the refuse goes? Right, in my belly. Well this time around, I opted to save all the refuse to make bread crumbs. The sandwiches were spectacular (roast beef and provolone) and nothing went to waste. My wife actually made the bread crumbs, it was inspired by her new favorite celebrity chef Nathan Lyon (A Lyon in the Kitchen on Discovery Health). The bread crumbs will be used this week for a dish that was already planned out (some sort of scalloped potato type dish with squash and zucchini).

Ingredients List:
  • Fresh bread, sans the crust, broken apart a bit (use your hands)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Any ol' fresh herbs you have laying around (we used rosemary from the garden)
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. Place the bread on a cookie sheet and drizzle with oil
  3. Salt and pepper to taste
  4. Add the herbs to the pan (to impart their flavor(s))
  5. Bake for 15 minutes or so
  6. Once they cool, crush them up
  7. Enjoy!

Funny enough, some of the pieces of bread still ended up back in my stomach straight from the cookie sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment