Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fermenting Cabbage - Week 1

A week ago I started a batch of what will hopefully end up becoming yummy sauerkraut. From the get go I had issues with packing the cabbage and the first couple of days I ended up repacking due to various issues (I wasn't happy with the original packing job, and the second packing job overflowed).

Since then, the cabbage has been seemingly happy in it's cool dark location. The cabbage bubbled the first couple of days, but has since stopped (or at least I haven't seen any bubbles). My fear is that something went wrong and the batch will have to be discarded. I plan to check up on it and repack it this evening. Additionally, and I'm not sure if this is a good thing, but there hasn't been any scum floating on the top. From my understanding, scum can happen, but doesn't always happen. When it does happen, the amount can vary... so who knows really.

If nothing else, my last packing job has given me a good understanding of how to properly pack the cabbage for future batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment