Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lazy Sunday in the Garden

It's been a while since I've taken a nap on the back deck, but today was one of those days. The wife and kiddo and myself ended up working in the yard from the time we got up until close to nightfall today. The time change made it a bit awkward, as I wasn't sure what time it actually was most of the day. A lot of missions were accomplished as a result. The rest of the sun flowers are planted in the ground. Once the dwarf flowers are a bit taller, I'll be able to put the mulch in. We also got some new herbs potted, some old ones re-potted and my wife took over two flower boxes and loaded them up with some of her $1 flowers from the target. Up until this weekend, I've been pretty apprehensive about planting anything in the ground due to the continuing cold fronts.

Now a few months ago, I built a small 4x2 area for my experimental square foot garden. Depending on it's success, the plan is to build a couple of raised planters later this year. Of the 8 squares, 3 are now inhabited. Two are onions, one planted as scallions (green onions - 36/sqft), and the other as dry onions (16/sqft). The last square is lettuce (4/sqft) the seeds were from a mixed pack of seeds (fancy greens, if you will). One of the 4 lettuce seemed like it was dying, the middle of the stem was looking sketchy. I risked it anyway, my wife and I both have a few lettuces started that could end up in that spot, worst case scenario. Thus far with the square foot garden, I'm liking the rigidness of the technique. I took the box from the new compost bin and made 4 planting guides and wrote what plants used that pattern right on the guide. Should make it easier to plant in the future, or at least until I know it all by heart.

On a random note, I've been thinking of planting potatoes across the side fence. A friend made mention that they do great in Florida sand. Well that's my whole backyard except the garden, so it may work out. I have a couple of $25 off a $50 order coupons from a few online nurseries, so that may be on the list for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment