Thursday, March 5, 2009

New Composting Bin

My garbage can turned compost bin has served me well, but it was time for a larger capacity container to compost in. My garbage can was 32 gallons, and the new bin 410 liters (108 gallons!), so it was definitely one hell of an increase. The plan if to continue to use the garbage can to hold the leaves in the yard. I layer the compost and typically cover the kitchen scraps with a layer of leaves (keeps a lot of the flies away) so having a container of just leaves will be very convenient. Once the garbage can is full of leaves, I plan to start bagging the excess leaves to create leaf molds as per Recycle Now.

The box actually seemed a bit smaller than I expected:


Inside there some documents on composting and a free ounce of compost starter:


The bin arrived unassembled in the box:


But was quick and easy to put together:


And hide in:


Here's a shot of the new bin in the old bin's spot, and the old bin in it's temporary location. I told you I had a lot of leaves in my yard!


Just a shot of the new bin in all it's glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment