Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cold Chillin' in Central Florida

Freeze warnings in effect for the area tonight. It's 43 degrees currently. Most of my plants are potted and were pulled in last night due to previous frost warnings. Unfortunately, I left a tray of seedings (assorted hot peppers and grape tomatoes) too close to a heat vent. A few weeks back that wouldn't have been an issue, but now with the new A/C they were dried out a bit. I watered them and am hoping for the best. Yesterday we suffered another loss with one of the recently transplanted roma tomato plants. Seems the Florida wind decided to help with the gardening and the stem gave. My wife suggested that I just put some supports under it before giving up on it. We shall see. Currently in the ground I have 8 dwarf sun flowers which I've covered with plastic cups. No big deal if we lose them as they are quick to grow, and we have 2 more varieties already going in the house. I'm hoping this is going to be the last frost of the year, but you never know (the Tampa average last frost is around February 25th).

No comments:

Post a Comment