Sunday, February 8, 2009

Recipe: Fiery Death Pickles


A few years ago I started dabbling with refrigerator pickles after seeing an episode of Good Eats on the Food Network. Fridge pickles aren't fermented, the juice is brought to a boil and then poured over the unsuspecting cukes, then refrigerated for a week or so (assuming you can wait that long). Since then I've dabbled a lot with Alton Brown's recipe to get the flavors that I prefer, and funny enough, got some ideas from Bobby Flay's spicy pickle recipe as well. I like a very very sour or just slightly sweet dill pickle, and as of the last few batches, I've taken a fancy to spicier pickles by using habaneros. Now the last batch of pickles I made was over 2 years ago, my reasoning is that I simply haven't been happy with the cucumbers at the grocery store. Since we've started buying our vegetables nearly exclusively at the local farmer's markets, that's all changed. Just to warn everyone, I don't measure any of the dry ingredients out and I do end up with some extra juice. The following recipe is for my "Fiery Death Pickles" but can be altered to taste (e.g. 86 the habaneros if you don't like it hot).

Ingredients:
  • 2 Regular Cucumbers, I stay away from the pickling variety (no real reason except availability). 2 should be enough for 1 mason jar if sliced into rounds, you may have a little left over for salads or what not.
  • Vinegar, 1 cup Apple Cider and 1/2 cup White. I've used white wine vinegar instead of white before, can't say I can tell a difference.
  • 1/4 cup Onion, any kind really.
  • Couple cloves of garlic
  • Habaneros, I use 3 per mason jar, it's hot but not unbearable. I cut the top off, seed it, and then flower it to be fancy ;)
  • 1 cup Water, tap is fine
  • 3 Tbsp Fresh Dill (rough chop)
  • 3 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro (rough chop, thanks Bobby Flay!)
  • 1 Tbsp Pickling Seasoning (I may start omitting this to cut some of the sweetness)
  • 1 tsp each Celery Seed, Coriander Seed, Cumin Seed, Dill Seed, Mustard Seed, Tumeric
  • 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
  • and 2 Tbsp Sugar
Directions:
  1. I start by cleaning my mason jar out and prepping my veggies
  2. Chopped onion, garlic, dill and cilantro go in the bottom of the jar
  3. Next I add the cucumbers, skin on, sliced into rounds and throw in a habanero every couple of layers. You can really pack them in there if you put your mind to it
  4. Once the jar is prepped I combine all the wet ingredients (water and vinegars) and all of the dry spices into a pot on the stove and bring it to a boil
  5. You only need to boil the mixture for a few minutes (5 or so) to excite the dry ingredients.
  6. At this point, I transfer the mixture to a measuring cup with a spout so I don't make a total mess. From there I slowly pour the mixture into the jar.
  7. Once it's filled up, let it sit for a few minutes. Check up on it, and it should need some more liquid as it will settle in better. Add more and repeat until it stops settling.
  8. Since I love to hear the pop of a fresh jar of pickles, I put the top on while it's still hot and let it cool on the counter, and then in the fridge. This cooling process will typically depress the button.
  9. Give it 5 to 7 days and then enjoy yourself a pickle! My typical routine is to "test" them every day to see how they are progressing, and because I have a hard time waiting

Like I said before, adjust the recipe accordingly and you'll have yourself a perfect recipe for yourself in no time! I must warn everyone though, I wouldn't share your pickles, we had guests over last night and I made that mistake. The rest of the night I kept being asked if we could "try" some more pickles. As a good host I was willing... but seriously, I don't like giving up my pickles!

Next batch of pickles I make, I plan to switch gears from refrigerator pickles to actual fermented dill pickles. Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment