Thursday, February 5, 2009

Temperature <= 32 degrees, Day #2

Yeah, I know, "boo hoo, Florida's having it's 3rd cold night this winter, big whoop". It is what it is, I suppose. The thermometer is set to dip into the 20s tonight, it was 32 degrees when I woke up at 8am this morning, not quite sure if it went any lower than that. The sun flowers are covered with cups again, I'm hoping this will be out last cold night for the winter. Predictions have us back into the 40s over night by Friday evening. Guess that's why I love Florida so much, we get just enough cold weather to remember that it's there, but it barely lasts a day or so, and then we're back to normal.

The couple of cold nights forced me to bring all my plants inside to stay warm. This ended up being more of a blessing than anything else. Remember when I talked about how we got 1.5 inches of rain in a day last week or so? Well everyone's finally drying out and looking much much better. My only fear now is that the damage is already done, and the roots have rot. From my research, that's probably not the case as the plants have perked up considerably since yesterday when a few of them appeared droopy. All of my seed trays are doing well though, and funny enough are suffering the opposite effect from the extra heat. They were drying out in a bad way, and a few of them ended up drying up and dying. This morning I was proactive and added some water to the bottom of the trays. This seemed to work nicely as when I came home from work, most of the water had either evaporated or absorbed into the peat pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment